Thursday, December 20, 2007

I Lost a Friend: One Year Later

As I sit here on this cold Thursday in December, I'm reminded of where I was last year on December 21. At four o'clock I was working the final hour of my shift at McDonald's, and was surprised to see my best friend Jordan come through the door. He had come to remind me of his Christmas program at his church that night in Toledo, and asked me if I had my Bible in my car. I was somewhat short with him, since I was working and everything, and told him that I didn't have it; it was at my house. He said ok, and that he'd see me later. In my hurry I ended our conversation with an abrupt, "See ya later!" Had I known I would never see him again, I probably would've thought of something more meaningful.


I've thought through that exchange hundreds of times. What would I have said had I known? My first reaction is that I would tell him not to go, as he would not make it all the way to the church that evening. But what if I couldn't save him from the accident that would claim his life? What if all I could do is let him know how much he meant to me?




This is what I would say:


You mean the world to me. You've been the best friend I could ever ask for. There's no one I would have rather played Thomas the Tank Engine, Lego's, Transformers, or a "gun game" with. In our teen years there's no one I would have rather killed repeatedly in Halo (was it like 15 times in a row that one day?). I had a blast when we did our homeschool work together, even though we often didn't get much accomplished. As we got older there was no one who listened as intently to my hopes, dreams, and fears as you. I really didn't mind that you dated Christal after I did. I'm actually really glad you did, because it got her to leave me alone!


I'm glad that I was able to be there for you through your parent's divorce, and thanks so much for listening to me complain during my parent's; thanks also for a person to cry with, as well as laugh with and provide a safe place for me to just get away from the fighting and everything. I'm also extremely glad that the bond of our friendship has been strengthened by our mutual faith in the God who loves us. You've been the best friend I could ever imagine, and I'm so thankful that God made it possible for us to be such great friends. I will miss you more than you can fathom. I Love You. And I will see you again.




2 comments:

:::: Travis Keller :::: said...

i found your blog.

Anonymous said...

That's kinda sweet. I would not wait til later to express my feelings for my best friend. glad to have read this post.