Sunday, October 26, 2008

Welfare and the Church: A Reflection


Are welfare and socialized health care simply our ways of having the government take care of a problem we don't wish to deal with on a personal level?

Which requires more of us: Caring for the orphans and widows, the sick, the imprisoned, and the poor through our churches and our personal giving, or simply paying more taxes and having the government care for them in our stead?

Father, please help me to not be simply another question-asker amidst a sea of often answerless questions. Help me to FACILITATE the change YOU wish to see in the world.

6 comments:

Faith changes the world, religion burns it. said...

Yes, they are an attempt to have the government do what is our responsibility. I am not against helping the poor, I am against the government doing this job, but until Christians do, no one else will. This requires everything of us, and for many it will require redirecting their entire lives, and that's why it doesn't happen.

Daniel Coutz said...

I also agree that is a way for Christians for pass their responsibility to someone else. I hope I am not one who is passing his responsibility to someone else and that I will do my best to help them, but unfortunately the church is not doing all they can do to help them so until the church steps up I feel like welfare and similir programs are needed. But if you ask me tomorrow I might have a totally different opinion on the topic.

J.S. said...

Amen.

Daniel Coutz said...

wow I just re-read my comment and the grammer is terrible. I apologize for degrading your blog with my elementary school-level grammar.

Ryan Schmitz said...

It is the embrasing of the glorious god of government. No where in the Bible does it say that government will be the answer. Even God's appointed Kings failed because their took their eyes off the appointer.

megan said...

your blogs are always very challenging..i love it. also-i've rejoined the world of blogging so check it out sometime.